Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2009

Q&A: Is it acceptable to use HPRP funds on renting a room for housing, excluding motels?

From HUD virtual helpdesk: Yes, HPRP assistance can be provided in these situations as long as there is a lease in place and there is no conflict of interest (e.g., there may be a conflict of interest if the landlord is the renter's brother). It is the grantee's job to fully assess the situation to ensure a conflict does not exist, and that the applicant has no other resources, support networks, or housing options to prevent homelessness.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Q&A: Can an HPRP provider get a security deposit back if the household moves?

It is the decision of the lead agency and/or provider if their agreement with clients includes recovering security deposit funds if they move.

From HUDhre: HUD is giving grantees the discretion to determine how to handle security deposits. The grantee may recover the security deposit, in which case it must be treated as program income. Alternately, the grantee may allow the household to keep the deposit and use it towards their next unit. Finally, the landlord or property management company may keep a portion of the deposit if it is needed to pay for costs incurred by the tenant such as damages to the unit.

Q&A: We know that HPRP assistance cannot be provided to properties owned by either the lead agency or a sub-contractor but does that apply cross-regionally?

From HUD Financial Assistance Document:

An assisted property may not be owned by the grantee, subgrantee, or the parent, subsidiary or affiliated organization of the subgrantee.

It appears that it is acceptable cross-regionally unless the requesting program has any connection as stated above. By that statement, it also appears acceptable within region as long as there is no connection as stated above.

Q&A: Is all social security income that is excluded from income or is it just deferred payments?

From HUD Income Eligibility Documentation:

Gross income that must be included in calculation: Any monthly payments in lieu of earnings, such as unemployment, disability compensation, SSI, SSDI, and worker's compensation.

Not included in income calculation: Deferred periodic amounts from SSI and Social Security benefits that are received in a lump sum amount or in prospective monthly amounts.

Q&A: Are sober houses/recovery houses considered transitional housing?

No, they are not transitional housing.  Sober/Recovery housing fall under "sober living facilities" as a type of housing in CT. There are DMHAS supported sober/recovery housing which may provide rental assistance/reimbursement; uncertified housing is supported only by rental payments.  Many uncertified sober units have oral leases (month to month) which are legal in CT, but there must be a written lease to support a client using HPRP funds.

Click on link below for more info on Sober Housing in CT